Monday, July 11, 2011

My favorites in Orlando

Confession #1: I put this post off because it was hard to think of all the different places I loved in Orlando when many of my memories have been hanging out at football games, different apartment complexes I lived in during college, and just on campus during my daily classes and goings on.

Confession #2: This post is very picture heavy, sorry if it takes a while to load!

Without further delay, here is my compilation of 5 years in Orlando & the best places the tourists (mostly) never see:



Winter Park
    • Park Avenue- This street is the heart of Winter Park and contains kitschy shops, an amazing Wine bar, restaurants with live music, and the beautiful Rollins College campus. 
    • Farmer's Market- This weekly market takes place in the former railroad station and is a hub of fresh fruit, veggies, and plants. 
    • Wine bar in Winter Park for my 21st birthday
    • Food- There are tons of great (if not expensive) restaurants up and down Park Avenue. One night, Kierstan and I visited the Morse Museum and then ambled over to Spice for some amazing martinis, live music, and great food. I love the atmosphere offered in this area and have heard rave reviews about many of the food places. 

Tijuana Flats

    • Though Tijuana Flats is now state-wide, sadly I will not have one nearby in Port St Lucie. Therefore, this goes on my list of something I will miss from Orlando. Having first tried Tijuana Flats in high school, I have since hardly strayed more than a few times from my standard Chicken chimichanga with salsa on top & chips on the side. Luckily, these restaurants started by UCF Alumni have been no more than 10 minutes from my house since I started UCF. If you have never tried them- you are missing out!!!


Mellow Mushroom
    • Though not started near UCF, this is by far one of my favorite places to eat. Amazing beer, craft brews, and fun nights like trivia & drawing make this place a great place to gather large groups. My favorite pizzas are a tie between Karma Sutra & Hawaiian. This UCF location also offers Garlic Balls which were a staple appetizer with our group. Top that all off with a pitcher of Lost Coast Great White, and I am in heaven! 

Lake Eola

    • This park in downtown Orlando is beautiful! Not to mention it has weekly events from Farmer's Markets to festivals. It is also a great place for runners & work out enthusiasts alike to stroll around the lake for a leisurely walk or strenuous run.   
    • There is also an event called Make 'm Smile put on by an organization called Nathaniel's Hope  that makes kids with special needs & their families "VIPs" for the day. I volunteered at this event and really enjoyed myself. If you're in the area, I highly recommend checking them out for some amazing volunteer opportunities. 

The family from Make 'm Smile I was paired with!



Chillers/Big Belly/Latitudes   
    • Also downtown, this 3 level bar boasts a different theme on each floor. This has remained my favorite downtown bar for its variety and relaxed vibe. Chillers on the first floor serves all frozen beverages and has crazy contests and dance music. Big Belly is the sports bar of the three with a random stripper pole, beer pong stations, and darts. This floor is the one to go to for those who get bored just sitting at the bars. Last is Latitudes, the rooftop bar. This island themed level has tiki torches, alcoves to sit, and great drink specials. By far, Latitudes is our favorite of the three.  

Baby Grands
    • This new addition to the downtown scene mimics Howl At The Moon without all the tourists and overpriced drinks. On a Thursday night you can get 3 for 1 drinks, a pretty open selection of tables to sit at, and the undivided attention of some amazing pianists!






Give Kids the World
    • This is another amazing place to volunteer your time in Orlando. This organization is dedicated to giving terminally ill children and their families the trip of a lifetime. They offer accommodations, park tickets, food, and lots of great activities at their facility for the families. 
    • You can bring a group & volunteer to play with the kids, march in their parade, hand out presents at their weekly Christmas or do some much needed behind the scenes work. 

Light Up UCF
    • Around Christmas time, the area in front of the UCF arena turns into a winter wonderland! Christmas movies play on outdoor projectors, local bands play Christmas tunes, nightly light shows grace the arena front, and ice skating & an ice slide top off a great area to get in the holiday spirit!
Kierstan dancing

Amber going down the slide
As you can see, they were barely staying still long enough to get a good picture- it was that fun! :)

Dandelion Communitea Cafe
    • Though I'm not a vegetarian, my vegetarian friendly roommate & full vegetarian (former) roommates have coerced me to try options without meat, and I generally really enjoy these options when done the right way. Dandelion is one of those amazing options that leaves you feeling healthy & full. Near Lake Eola & the downtown scene, this cottage like restaurant boasts cozy rooms, an eclectic collection of furniture and local art, daily brewed tea and fresh produce in their selection of food.    



 Wekiva Springs/Wekiva Island
        
    •  In the farthest northern part of Orlando (technically Altamonte Springs area) is an amazing state park! We generally went to Wekiva Island to rent canoes, canoed to the state park for a picnic lunch, and canoed back to the island to hang out before we left. The river is calm & beautiful and for a mere $20 plus a packed lunch & gas it makes for a cheap but awesome day outdoors. 




Jake & Mickys 

    • After growing out of the "Knight Library" and "TDs" phase, I realized the best local bar around UCF was Jake & Mickys. A strict 21+ policy allows this hang out to stay clear of the under 21 crowd that makes local places seedy and instead hosts local bands and great specials. The owners are UCF grads who are present and bartending most nights. 







David & I are now both official UCF graduates & living in SoFlo, crazy! 

Farewell Orlando, its been a great run! 


Are there any amazing spots that your city/town has to offer that is a must see? Any other fellow Orlando people have places they love??




No comments:

Post a Comment