Saturday, June 25, 2011

Life is a Beach

*This was written about my day Thursday, June 23. *

Today I was supposed to be in Tampa visiting with my mom and a few friends from home that I haven't seen in awhile.

My mom & I


However, due to the craziness that is moving David & I had to drive to Jensen Beach last night for an appointment with the Home Owners Association. Apparently this is vital to do before we move in, and this is the only time they had this week if we wanted to move in Friday. Therefore, I am currently sitting at a Panera after exploring my soon-to-be new home.

On to the beaches!!

This morning, I dropped David off at his office down here and headed to Jensen Beach which was a quick 10 minute drive. I came prepared in my workout clothes, hoping to make up for missing my workout last night due to our unscheduled drive down.

After my run I took my shoes off to cool down in the sand & surf.


Arriving at the beach soon after sunrise, I set out with the goal to reach "those really small buildings in the distance". I felt like they stayed in the distance the entire run! Holy cow were they far away!

Finally, through semi-soft sand, I managed to reach my destination and turned around to run back.

See those blurs in the distance? That's what I ran to!

Feeling accomplished I headed to the next beach on my list: House of Refuge.

This historical site boasts the oldest building in Martin County as well as the only Refuge House left standing. These coastal homes were meant as havens for survivors of shipwrecks and other such disasters in the 1800s. Now, a maritime museum is hosted in the quaint looking house for a minimal entrance fee.




Bypassing the museum, I headed to the beach behind it to enjoy the view, test the waters, and explore the rocks!



This beach was completely empty save myself and a fisherman's boat in the distance.




The last beach I explored was Bathtub Beach.
Aside from the funny name, this out of the way beach is known as a great family spot where parents feel secure allowing their kids to explore because of the relative safety afforded the beach by a living reef that essentially blocks the area off to sharks and other such wildlife.

The water is beautifully clear- I felt like I was in a spring, never have I seen such crystal clear water at a beach!



There were also little areas sectioned off by posts meant for sea turtles nests! I researched it a little, and different community centers (http://discovermartin.com/events/) host educational nights where people are taught about the turtles' habits and then escorted to local nests to observe their nesting rituals and hopefully see the baby turtles' fated trek to the ocean.
Source

As far as the eye could see was a stretch of pure white sand untouched by litter despite the popularity of the beach. This beach is an amazing example of humans peacefully coexisting with the natural wildlife.

Source


At this point I was exhausted after spending an entire morning & afternoon in the sun so here I am at Panera waiting for David to get off work!

I can't wait to visit more of the small local beaches to discover each and every intricacy, nuance and that little something that makes them unique!

Friday will be full of moving the large stuff down to Port St. Lucie and then finally finish up my weekend of moving with a garage sale Saturday & some final cleaning to our empty house on Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment