What is on my mind today is the contemplation of the need for human interactions. From the time I was able to drive myself around, my schedule has been packed beginning to end with work, volunteering, groups, and time with friends. I find myself a happier person when I am busy, but conversely, I crave my quiet time- away from my roommates, boyfriend, friends & family.
I've found in living with my significant other, as amazing as that is, I have to really work to be alone and find that quiet corner that I crave. I feel abnormal when I turn down an invitation to go out ( I am still young despite the crocheting), but yet I'm satisfied with staying in...
After my contemplation, I did a basic Google search on solitude and came up with some interesting facts.
Check out the page for some basic if not obvious benefits of solitude.
Thoreau was famously known for his writings & his hermit style of living. This quote states,
"If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment."
I also liked this quote by Marilyn Monroe,
"I restore myself when I am alone."
I think I go through periods of "withdrawal" so to speak. I draw into myself for awhile and then emerge a much happier, refreshed person. Considering Spring Break just ended where I was surrounded by others the entire week, I feel justified in my need for solitude.
After searching it out, I guess I'm not so abnormal. In a culture that stresses 24/7 togetherness through Tweets, Facebook, and heck, even a blog it is okay to be alone. On that note, I'm out!

No comments:
Post a Comment