Sunday, May 13, 2012

In Honor of My Mom

Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow Mommies-To-Be & moms out there!!

In honor of this day, I want to take a little time to write about my own mom, Cheryl.



When I think about my mom, I think of the painter who wants to remain anonymous, the chef who revels in their patrons expressions and gratitude from behind kitchen doors, or the teacher who only finds out years later that they made a difference.

She is an amazing woman who has always showed her love and made personal sacrifices for my siblings and I, whether we recognized it or not.



As I've grown older I've realized just how amazing my mom really is. She is a giver.

My mom gives of her time. I can recall countless times where she drops what she's doing or somehow manages to make her schedule work for something my siblings or I have going on. My mom has driven 2-3 hours to see me for a night, only to drive back to Tampa the next morning to work.



She gives of herself. For a long time, my mom neglected her own needs so that we could have things we "needed". I've come to realize these needs were more of wants, but I am so grateful that she took our adolescent sense of worth into serious consideration and treated us as if opportunities were endless.



She gives of her assets. My family has never been considered wealthy by any means. For many years, I was embarrassed of it. Going to a private school, many of your friends and peers have things you cannot afford. Regardless of where we stood financially, I never went without food, clothes, a good education, or shelter. My mom also has always generously given of her money even when I don't think she should. She lends money to employees, family members, and friends. When I was in college, she continued to help me with rent when my low-paying job wasn't enough. When David and I moved to the Treasure Coast, she gave us money to pay our deposits and then came over and helped furnish our place with odds and ends that were needed. I can't imagine I would ever be able to pay her back for everything she's helped me with to this day, and I know she would never ask for it back.



More than that, my mom has always displayed an unending amount of love. No matter what happens, when it comes to the people she loves that love never wavers. It has really been to her detriment at times, but my mom's innate ability to love people like Jesus does is something that truly amazes and humbles me. As a young adult, she took in stray animals, now she takes in stray people- those people who don't have  families, need someone to counsel them, or just rely on her advice and comfort to support them.



I don't know how she does it all.  Mom- I hope I'm near as good of a mom as you. I love you!












No comments:

Post a Comment