Reflection from my first year teaching:
- First impressions aren't always correct, and things or people are never just what they exude.
I've had some students make dramatic turnarounds since the beginning of the year; most of them I'm happy to say have been good. One girl started off brooding and hateful but as the year has progressed she has shown that she genuinely has a good heart. It's those kids with prickly exteriors that I wish I had more time, another year with to really see them grow as individuals.
- Politics are ever present in education.
As the year has progressed we've dealt with a lack of attendance policy, lack of supplies, no planning period, limited copies, no comp time for extra activites, and countless other annoyances too numerous to count. Many of these issues are NOT a result of a harsh administration but rather go further up to the county and even state policies. I am blessed with a great team of principles and administration that care about our kids and their staff's needs. Unfortunately, as our state of education declines, the trickle down effect is negatively affecting our schools. It makes me nervous for future teachers and our kids. The question begs to be answered: How do we properly educate all of our kids? Testing and performance pay doesn't seem to be the answer.
- Being able to laugh at yourself & admit you're wrong brings more respect from your students than the vast knowledge of your chosen subject ever will.
I've had my instances of anger with my students unfortunately. It's hard to come in every day, ready to teach and interact with so many different personalities and issues. It's really been a test of my patience and ego when I can take lightly the discipline issues, need for re-teaching, or being proven wrong by an astute student. Kids are very straight-forward as I'm sure those with young kids can attest to, and even young adults will be frank with you if asked. I like to think I'm approachable and many students have shared their opinions of other teachers' methods of discipline. I've noticed that the ones they complain about are the ones who are unwilling to admit their own faults and get "real" with their kids. Though I don't believe you should be on a first name basis with your students and hang out with them outside of school events, I do think there's something to be said for building a real relationship with these individuals. The teachers I try to mimic are all ones I felt were personally invested in my life and really cared for me. I hope to be that person for as many students as possible.
- It's okay if not everyone likes you.
This particular issue I have a hard time swallowing as I'm sure most people do. I think it's innate that people strive for a general sense of acceptance among their peers and co-workers. In the case of teachers, students aren't always going to like you. There were a few teachers that, as a student, I recall severely disliking, and those who didn't make much of an impact either way. It's something that you have to take with a grain of salt and realize that you don't like everyone either. As long as you can get along with people you have to interact with you're good!
- Racism is still an issue.
Honestly I can say that I, suprisingly, see a lot of reverse racism. In an effort to accept all minorities and pay a restitution of sorts for the past, anyone with light skin is held to different standards. Do we have a caucasian history month? A Caucasian specific literary or social studies course? Not that I would want these particular courses, but it would be deemed unacceptable. Yet, these courses are acceptable for Black history or Carribean history, etc. On one hand, I have many Haitin, Jamaiican, and African American students who could care less and see no difference; their friends are all different. My Caucasian students are the same way. This gives me hope for our future generations; it's not them who carry a grudge. However, there are those of the "older" generation who still feel bitter and harbor those feelings of hatred and ignorance that gives white people and minorities alike a bad name.
I haven't discussed any of these issues in fear that I too would be labeled an ignorant white person. I do believe though that it's worth addressing. Growing up in a very dominantly Caucasian area, I never saw the division between the races, probably because I wasn't exposed to it. In college, everyone seemed to interact, for the most part, in an understanding and open-armed way. Teachers stressed integration and acceptance, and it was expected all around. I believe that because college promotes education and understanding, this wasn't necessarily a "true" experience because it came from place of higher education.
Currently, I teach and live in an area where minorities are the majority of the population. What I've seen has shocked me more in terms of people in authoritative positions. There are select teachers and administrators that band together and disapprove of others simply because they're black and others are not. How is this acceptable when they are authorities over our impressionable youth? Students, minority students at that, have told me that they are offended at the narrow and judgemental way these teachers talk about their students and others in front of them. They either refuse to take their courses, avoid them at all costs, or joke about how racist they are. Some of the things I've been told they say should be grounds for discipline or dismissal, but because our society would promote that as discrimination it's an untouchable issue. It saddens and sickens me to see that our society, in some ways, is still so antiquated.
These points have generally seemed like negative things that I learned this year, but really they have just been the most eye-opening experiences I've had in the "real world". As I say good-bye to my seniors, I'm truly sad to see them go. We've had our ups and downs throughout the school year, but I am ever anxious to see in 5-10 years where some of them have gone, how far their aspirations have taken them. These students truly have impacted my life, and it makes it worthwhile to teach and hope that in some way you've helped them grow as young adults.
Here's to another year gone by.
Good luck Class of 2012!
No comments:
Post a Comment