Monday, August 29, 2011

First Week Lessons

I know it's week two already, but here are a few (brief) first week recaps. I have a CRAZY day ahead of me tomorrow & have to get to bed ASAP... :p

Although I am technically the teacher, here are a few things I learned:

1. Making lesson plans takes A LOT of planning. 

    I stayed up every single night last week for 3-4 hours working on my lessons for the following day. Not fun. This weekend I kicked it into gear & made outlines for all three of my preps so this week should be MUCH easier to deal with.

2. Always have a backup idea/lesson plan.

    On Thursday or Friday (I can't remember which!) the power went out for about an hour. That killed my PowerPoint lesson plans with my cool pictures and videos along with the A/C &, on the other side of our hallway, most of the lights!
Luckily I had a laptop with me and being that it was a small class was able to briefly give an amended presentation before sending them to work.

3. I look young.

    When I started interning in college, I started dressing more professionally. My skirts/dresses/shorts have gradually gotten longer, closer to "mom length" as I like to call it. However, the numerous, numerous comments I received as well as one embarrassing incident involving a pink thong have given me food for thought.
The conclusion- In a high school, I need to dress even MORE conservatively. Hopefully our Florida winter will help out with sweaters and such. Right now it's so hot I'm struggling to find outfits that don't make me sweat but adequately cover everything completely!

4. Being with the kids is amazing and fun; the rest of the add-ons that are required are not that great.

   This week I have two cheerleading practices, one CPR/FA meeting, open house, and a new teacher meeting. Enough said.

5. Teaching is expensive
 
So far I bought my own expos, posters,border, paper, page protectors, stapler, tape, pencil sharpener, pens/pencils, numerous odds & ends and an LCD projector.

So a side note for you non-teachers, all those things in your teacher's classroom were probably bought with their paychecks. I willingly bought these things because I want the kids to have the best learning environment possible, but I do think it's out of hand to spend so much money on supplies for my job.

6. Last but not least: my colleagues are great.

When the rest of the English department realized I was a brand new teacher, I received so much help and support. Lesson plan ideas filled my mailbox & inbox, a good luck card with chocolates greeted me on the first day of school, and numerous heads popped in to make sure I was surviving that first week. With a solid lunch group of new teachers I'm set on a great support staff to help get me through this year.


Week two is up & running so hopefully I'll be able to post again soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment