Saturday, December 1, 2012

Rant about the school board

As I gear up for my return to work in the public school system, I have to add another tally on the cons side of being a teacher.

Yesterday as I loaded up my car to visit the school board office with baby in tow, I will admit I was already a little frustrated. Elise was having a fussy day, and if I hadn't been under the impression that I had to visit that day I very well would have stayed home that afternoon. Nonetheless I took my less than happy baby & drove 30 minutes to the office.
As we arrived, I sighed with relief. Elise needed to be changed, and I was sure I would be in and out in 20 minutes with my insurance taken care of.

After being rudely met by one woman in the risk management office, I was treated like an inconvenience and told I could wait in their break room for the insurance rep to return from lunch. She was halfway through at this point, so I settled in for 30 minutes.
After almost an hour wait, I packed my stroller up to leave. As soon as I got up the woman returned (Are teachers allowed a 2 hour lunch break?) and told me my insurance card with Elise's name wasn't enough proof that she's covered and that I'll need to return with a letter stating the same thing.

Con # 2235624: school board employees who presumably make more than teachers that take two hour lunch breaks are disenthused when asked to do their jobs. Can we put them on a pay for performance scale?

Far from being made to feel welcome and part of the reason these people have jobs, I was brushed off and treated with disdain. Unfortunately I have to grudgingly return to the same office next week to try to take care of the problem again.

On the other hand, I really need to attempt lesson plans so that when I return I'm not overwhelmed. That looks promising with a wedding looming & infant at home!

& next time I'm sure ill be back with more baby updates & less negative tellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment